It’s hardly a secret, my obsession with travel and seeing the world is both well known and well documented. I can’t quite put my finger on exactly when it began but I think a trip to Copenhagen in my teens was the spark. When we decided the time was right to have kids we vowed to continue to travel albeit slightly differently! Traveling with kids can be more challenging but not less rewarding. We have had comments like “how can put your kids through that journey etc” I smile nod – my kids love to travel. They count the days on the calendar to their next adventure. We involve them in the planning from the start. Its is a family trip so we aim for something for everybody.
My bucket list trips
Last year we made lots of short haul trips and one long haul to one of our bucket list destinations Niagara Falls so where to for 2018? We haven’t quite decided yet but some of our top picks for the moment include;
- Cape Town – when I started to look into Cape Town further I was quite surprised at just how much there was for kids to do. I have romantic notions of outdoor adventures, water activities and good food. The kids love animals and love being outdoor which is why I think Cape Town appeals to me so much.
- New Zealand – In a similar outdoorsy vein New Zealand appeals for the same reasons. As a farmer my husband would love to see the large scale farming operations of New Zealand. For me id love to see first hand Queenstown the stunning lakes and glacial formations. However at over 24 hours flying time from Dublin I do think this one will have to wait a little longer until the kids get that bit older.
I reached out to my fellow bloggers to see where they would travel to with their kids if money was no object:
- Lyndsey of Me, Him the dog and a Baby would go back to Orlando, where they got married this time to experience it all again with their daughter.
- Pete of Household Money Saving would go for a cruise around the Mediterranean for the great weather, the variety of places to visit and the abundance of activities on board.
- Catherine of Rock & Roll Pussycat would love to visit Borneo to visit an Orangutan sanctuary. That sounds really cool to me too!
- Vicki of Family Travel with Ellie would definitely go on safari as its a dream of theirs. I totally agree on that one, hopefully one day we make it to South Africa to do similar.
- Sam of Travelling with our kids would do Route 66 in an RV! One big road trip. I hear you!! This would be an amazing trip, also one which ill add to our bucket list.
- Lucy of Outnumbered by Bunnies would love to take her daughter to Rome to see the Vatican in particular.
Because money is an object :-)…….
I have some money saving tips in this tips post or alternatively if South Africa is on your list do check out the fantastic competition running on Qatar Airways for a return trip from Dublin to South Africa. How amazing would that be. Alternatively its back to saving hard or I know a good few of my buddies opt for the likes of loans from places like cashlady.com.
Whatever you do decided to do just remember traveling closer to home can be just as rewarding rather than putting yourself in any kind of financial difficulty.
So if money was no object where would you go? Do let me know in the comments.