We often joke in our house, wondering how many miles we do a year. We love to travel and we spend quite a bit of time in the car. Therefore ensuring the health of our car is as important as our own health, after all the cargo is precious!!
One thing I will commend the Dada Fairy on is that he is very thorough and cautious about checking the car, you can never be too careful. I am by no means an expert and always talk to a professional, never taking any risks when it comes to the road worthiness of your vehicle, if its NCT or MOT get your certification for example in London from Iversons.
Some tips we have gleaned over the years of travel in all types of weather conditions and often all terrains:
- Protect your paintwork, harsh weather conditions like ice, snow, grit and dirt can impact the paintwork so it is important to use a wax coating or similar to form a protective layer
- Inspect your car before setting off, always check tyres (brakes), and windscreen, and wipers before setting off and not forgetting ensuring all lights are working correctly.
- Anti freeze, in harsh conditions antifreeze is an important component in protecting engines
- Fuel, in winter we would never travel with the bare minimum always ensure you have plenty in case of emergencies etc
- Emergency kit, ensure your car is well stocked in case of unforeseen breakdown, safety kit should include a good first aid kit as well as hi-viz, triangle, cones, flash light and its not harm to stick in some energy bars. Just in case. Its important to be prepared.
I can’t stress how important it is to have your car serviced regularly. At this time of year makings sure your vehicle is able for the inevitable harsher conditions is so important.