The ultimate 20 minute office workout!
It is no surprise to anybody that knows me that I lead a sedentary lifestyle. I sit behind a desk for a minimum of 40 hours a week. I use public transport to work – more sitting. I know I need to move more, I am acutely aware I need to move more having had chronic blood pressure issues on both pregnancies which thankfully resolved itself after the boys were born however this does put me in a higher risk category for the future.
As most of us already know sitting at a desk for long periods can lead to a myriad of health issues from fatigue to back/ neck pain to obesity. I read an article many years ago which referred to today’s society as the “Chair Born Society”. I am not sure who coined this phrase but I can see how apt it is.
With the above in mind I am delighted to work with Fitbit and Curry’s/PC World to highlight the important of getting moving during the day. Curry’s/ PC World together with Fitbit and London Fitness Guy have teamed up to create the ultimate 20-minute office workout with five high-intensity exercises, to help you feel more energised during your working day. See here for full details of the five exercises which can be undertaken at your desk in work. My 3 personal favourites are below with pic credit to Curry’s PC World.
Why not rope in some colleagues. We can all benefit from moving more.
I was sent a Fitbit Alta HR for this challenge and gladly through myself feet first into it. I needed this push to get moving and this was perfect. I am a competitive person by nature and love a good challenge. So over the last number of weeks I have been undertaking my own personal challenge which was to undertake the above exercises a minimum of 3 days a week in work together with my Fitbit challenge of:
- 11,000 steps a day
- 60 minutes high intensity exercises
- 7 hours sleep
A tall order you might say? Never one to shy away from a challenge I am thrilled to have meet or exceeded the above almost every day averaging around 15,000 steps a day coupled with between 3-4 hours of intensive exercise a week! Impressive even if i do say so myself. The only item which im less consistent with is sleep however I have 2 young kids which aren’t the best sleepers!
What I thought
- Noticeable improvement in my fitness levels – my office is on the second floor. I used to get the lift. Now I always take the stairs up and back. The first time I did, I honestly thought id faint. However 3 weeks later I can walk up 2 flights of stairs and I am not breathless.
- Quality of sleep – While number of hours I sleep could still be improved the quality of my sleep is much better. I wake up refreshed not sluggish like before.
- More conscious choices – Rather than eating lunch at my desk. I take a walk or walk to somewhere to sit in and have it. Its gets me out of the office in the fresh air. Good for your mind too.
- Efficient – Not 100% sure my employee will totally agree however I really feel better/ sharper / more efficient since incorporating more exercise into my daily life.
Why don’t you give it a go? Do let me know how you get on. For me – ” I may not be there yet but I am closer than I was yesterday“. Start with small changes and before you know it small changes will have made a big difference…..do it!
Thanks for Curry’s PC World and Fitbit for letting us be part of this campaign. Absolutely love my Fitbit. More importantly thank you for helping me take control of my own fitness.