I know lots of people think we are insane to take young kids skiing but with the right precautions we haven’t had any issues going on family ski trips. Actually dare I say it we gravitate towards winter holidays rather than sun holiday. We were in Canada last year and are off to Finland, more precisely Lapland in 3 weeks and counting. Having done this a number of times both pre and post kids I have set out some tips and advice below:
- Preparation is key! Shop around for good quality durable ski wear it is worth spending money on this as they will really be put through their paces and will last a couple of seasons or be handed down between the kids too! While it doesn’t get particularly cold around these parts there have been days where the thermals have come in useful for the kids! One thing I am very strict on is kids ski helmet. A lot of research goes in to selecting top quality ones for us all.
- No helmet no ski rule: This one is strictly enforced so everybody knows not so much as a foot allowed on the slopes until the helmets are on.
- Good socks: You will thank me later, good socks are essential.
- Layers: Layers and lots of them is what works for us as you will be in and out places and can adjust them as necessary.
- Insurance: Call you insurance provider to see if you need an upgrade for winter activities many often do.
- Skincare: Temperatures can get very low so make sure you moisturise, especially the delicate skin of younger kids. We favour the Eucerin Dry Skin Range and used it on our recent trip to Iceland.
- Choose wisely: Resorts can vary so much so do your research to ensure it is kid friendly including providing cots, high chairs etc if needs be. Some resorts offer some child minding and clubs.
- Manage Expectations: Pre kids you might have been able for hours on the slopes and lets faces it as much as they might enjoy skiing they will need more breaks and down time during the day. There is nothing worse than tired and grumpy kids on the slopes.
- Tech: Phones aren’t keen on the cold so keep them in inside pockets
Hopefully the above will be some help in getting you set up for your first or repeat ski trip. Check back at the end of the month for trip reports on our upcoming Finland trip.
Note: This is a collaborative post however I retain full editorial control