We have moved house 3 times over the last 10 years each a different stage, before kids, with one kid and when pregnant with our second. While im no expert I can certainly share from a practical point of view what worked for us thus making a stressful process a little easier on all involved.
- Planning – I know this may sound like im stating the obvious but planning really is key from the outset, line up the trades, the dates, the help etc.
The aim is that it will flow as seamlessly as possible.
- Removal Company – Unless you have access to a van or lots of help you will like us most probably need to assistance of a Removal companies. The key here is to shop around, get personal recommendations if you can. You want somebody who will pack and transport as quickly and as efficiently as is possible.
- Charity/ Dump/ Sell – You need to be a little ruthless when packing up. If you haven’t wore it or used it in years what are the chances you will now? Lots of options to either donate good quality clothing, dump or even use site like ebay or local deal site to sell goods.
- Labels, labels, labels – I went a tad crazy with while labels and my sharpie, every box has labels, notes, instructions and priority rankings as I was never going to have it all unpacked in a few hours! Slightly related also is a tip from my Dad to take a pic of the cabelling for TV’s etc as for the non techie like me, trying to piece that kind of thing back together wouldn’t be the easiest task.
- Help! – Take all the help you can for either packing or unpacking or even making dinner until you get sorted. Particularly if moving any large furniture yourself
Ill be the first to admit moving is so stressful but hopefully with these simple tips it can make it a little easier.