As I have shared previously on the blog having family in Donegal means we travel up that part of the world quite a bit for family events etc. Over the last 3 months we stayed a night in three different hotels in Donegal. As the stay was quite short I though the easiest thing to do would be some short snippet reviews of our key thoughts as really one night isn’t enough to write a comprehensive review therefore below you will find our initial thoughts and observations. Two of the below trips we had the kids, the third it was the grown ups only.
Clanree Hotel – Letterkenny
First up is the Clanree Hotel in Letterkenny, we stayed here the October bank holiday as the Dada Fairy was attending an event in Letterkenny. We arrived quite late thanks to bank holiday traffic and we were greeted so warmly by the incredibly friendly staff.
- Staff were excellent couldn’t do enough to help
- Child friendly
- Great breakfast
- Great food in the pub on site and very welcoming for kids
- Rooms were spotlessly clean
- Lots of parking on site
- It is a little out of the town, you could walk but it’s a bit far if like me you have kids in tow!
We booked last minute via booking.com see here for hotel website.
Mill Park Hotel – Donegal Town
I have stayed many times in the Mill Park Hotel and it never disappoints. This time we were here for a family function. We arrived midday on a Friday and were able to avail of early check in.
- Location – easy walk to the town
- Rooms were fab – the one we had was newly renovated and had the most amazing shower
- Great breakfast
- Lots of parking
- Apparently a great pool and leisure centre on site however we didn’t get a chance to use it
- No food available at the bar when we arrived only sandwiches which was only minor inconvenience being so close to the town
We booked quite a bit in advance via booking.com see here for hotel website.
Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa – Ballyliffin
We wrapped up 2016 with a stay (minus the kids) in Ballyliffin Lodge & Spa, its only when we drove up did we realise the vastness of the county of Donegal, the drive up with so beautiful, the scenery along the way really must be seen. We arrived on a cold Saturday afternoon to a really warm welcome. The hotel was decorated beautifully for Christmas.
- Lovely room
- Spotlessly clean
- Breakfast was amazing – best pancakes I have ever tasted!
- Lovely setting
- Very friendly and helpful staff
- Our room must have been over the wedding room which meant we could hear hum of the music, the hotel do supply earplugs not that we needed them. Not a problem for us however if you were travelling with young kids who went to bed early this might be worth considering if you are staying a night where there is a wedding on.
We booked this stay direct with the hotel on their website.
My brother’s wedding was in the Mill Park and we found it great. We’ve stayed in the Radisson in Letterkenny too and found it kid-friendly.
We haven’t stayed in the Radisson but must give that a go for the next visit. Mill Park is always reliable and location wise ideal for us.