I’m still a little bemused by this cleaning frenzy that seems to be taking hold of social media. I clean the house out of necessity, I will never be an influencer in that respect! For me its a matter of getting the job done as efficiently as possible. I have two little men and a husband and the bathroom is the bane of my life!! So what do I use to make that dreaded task that little bit easier:
- Baking soda – this is fantastic when added to water or other cleaning solutions to add an abrasive element., very useful for cleaning the bathroom especially as it helps to eliminate odours
- Apple cider /white vinegar – this has become a bit of a holy grail product with people using it for multiple different uses. In terms of cleaning it is great for the bathroom. Some of the ways I use it include: using a spray bottle with 50:50 vinegar and water to clean the mirror and shower doors; if you live in a hard water area like us, simply fill a ziplock bag and place under the tap and shower head to help dissolve the build up of limescale; similarly for blocked drains, add your vinegar with baking soda and boiling water and it really unclogs the drains.
- Epsom Salts – living in a hard water area means the sink, bath/ bath tray can get very stained necessitating using a mix of Epsom salts and liquid detergent and it really works wonders. Speaking of living in a hard water area, if you do have the space or the means to spend, I can highly recommend a water softener system. However, if like me you are a little overwhelmed with the sheer volume of options out there, what we did was spend some time researching Best Water Softener System Reviews. If you are planning on spending that kind of money it is so important to do your research.
- Air – I know this sounds a bit mad but open windows frequently and use bathroom fan when showering if you have one. Circulating air really helps discourage mildew
- Grout cleaner – an absolute pet hate of mine is grubby grout or sealant, because the are usually porous they absorbs oils etc from the bath products causing mould. There are some useful products on the market like Rainbow Chalk Markers which literally operate like pen to trace the grout lines to refresh the look right away. They are really easy to use and very effective. Rainbow Chalk have produced a great infographic on how they work which I have reproduced with permission.
If anybody has any more tips/ tricks or wonder products id love to hear more – leave them in the comments below. Bonus points if they are eco friendly too.