Mai is truly an exciting destination with kids. The region is filled with amazing landscapes and picturesque surrounding sights. This is a great spot to be at for all the adventurous families who love being outdoors and with nature. Thailand’s northern capital makes for a great family travel destination. Moreover, if you want to make the most of your trip, look for Chiang Mai tours to explore the city and its attractions. With a local expert guide, you can be sure that you are heading for the best tourism offerings and are enjoying the best things to do in Chia.
Here is a brief but comprehensive guide on Chiang Mai with kids.
When to go to Chiang Mai
The right time to visit the city with kids is between October and April as the weather is just perfect. However, it is also the peak tourist season, so if you are looking for a peaceful holiday away from the crowds, you can plan accordingly and visit the city when it is at its vibrant best. As the airport is small and not far from the city, it is very easy convenient.
Accommodations and getting around
Although one can find several options for, when traveling with children, look for safer areas. There are plenty of Chiang Mai hotels that are both safe and comfortable for the kids and are located close to the major attractions. Although Chiang Mai is stroller friendly, there are some uneven areas and paths, so you should be careful when moving around with children or toddlers.
What to do and see
There is plenty to do and see in the Chiang Mai that is well known for its friendly people and remarkable scenery. The whole family can enjoy a relaxed cultural experience as they explore the city. Here are some of the best activities to enjoy in Chiang Mai with your kids.
- Keep Chiang Mai Zoo at the top of the list as there is loads of interactive fun for the kids here. Enjoy looking at different animals at those exhibits. Your children will love feeding the giraffe and watch the snorting hippos.
- Kids love ziplining and when in Chiang Mai, it is highly recommended as you get to see the natural beauty and scenic waterfalls from above the treetops.
- As all children love elephants, you must take them to Elephant Nature Park that is a safe home to the gentle giants as well as dogs, cats, buffaloes and other animals.
- Sign up for a Thai cooking class and spend quality time together. Enjoy the whole experience as the whole family bods together.
- The whole family will simply love the Night Safari that comprises of night safari trips, nature walks, and a mini zoo. Do not miss the chance to see those nocturnal predators!
- Catmosphere cat café in Chiang Mai is another fun place for the whole family. You will love this unusual coffee shop that is filled with cats of all colors and sizes. You can even play with them.
- Where else will you find the chance to chat with a monk? Encourage the children to ask questions, and it sure is a great family activity.
- Visit the Sand Handicraft Village that abounds with silk, silverware and gem showrooms. You can join the papermaking class or see how the Saa Paper Umbrellas are made.
- Combine fun with exercise and go for a bike tour with your children and you can take them to the candy factory for more fun and excitement.
- Huay Kaew Waterfall is another spot you must add to your list as it takes a short scenic walk to reach those beautiful shallow waterfalls. It is a great place to cool down and enjoy a picnic.
Where to shop and eat
Shopping and eating are an essential part of any holiday, and when it comes to kids, you need to be a bit careful. Thankfully, Chiang Mai boasts of many excellent restaurants that serve kid-friendly menus such as Lemon Tree, Burmese Food and Library, Free Bird Café and more. The attentive staff is warm and welcoming towards children and serves fantastic food with an extensive range of choices. Some of the most popular spots for shopping in Chiang Mai with kids include Warorot Market, Saturday Night Market, Kham Tiang Flower Market, and Chiang Mai Malls & Shopping Centers.
For more on Thailand see our Bangkok trip here